"You fool! Don't you realize you're up against the perfect weapon?!"
|Alternate names||The Ultimate fighter
The Perfect Being
|Debut||Manga: Issue #30 (DBZ Issue #14)
Anime: "Borrowed Powers" (June 1992)
|Appears in||DBZ, DBGT|
|Date of birth||Age 786|
|Date of death||May 26 Age 767|
|Height||7'5 (Imperfect, Perfect) Appox. 10'4 (Semi-Perfect), Appox. 19'12 (Power Weighted Perfect)|
|Allegiance||Red Ribbon Army|
Cell (セル; Seru) or Android 21, is the main villain of the Cell saga, and the ultimate creation of Dr. Gero, designed to have all the abilities of the greatest fighters to have ever inhabited or visited Earth. The result was a "perfect weapon", possessing numerous genetic traits and special abilities. He posseses the cells of many of the Z Fighters as well as Frieza's and his father's. It should be worth noting that he is the only Red Ribbon Android to not have the Red Ribbon insignia on him at one point or another. It's also worth nothing that he is one of the few Androids not directly created by Dr. Gero; the only others are Androids 13, 14, 15 and possibly Android 8. Both Cell and Androids 13, 14, and 15 conceptions involved Dr. Gero's Super Computer.Cell's personality changes drastically throughout the saga. He is unique among most villains of the series, being that he is quite sophisticated. As his evolution proceeds, he can be observed as having a more patient, and calculating approach towards his goals. Because of his genetic composition from other warriors, he is able to psychologically manipulate those warriors and exploit their weaknesses to his advantage. At first, Cell's desire to complete his evolution by absorbing both Android 17 and 18 was what fueled him. Upon reaching his final form, his eagerness to test the limits of his newfound power was what defined his character.
With each transformation, Cell's personality underwent a drastic change. Initially, Cell is completely single-minded in pursuit of his goals. Upon reaching his first transformation, he becomes far more brash and impulsive in his actions. Upon reaching perfection, Cell displays a number of traits shared by those whose cells he possesses; Piccolo's cunning and intellect, Vegeta's pride, Goku's laid-back disposition, Frieza's smugness, and the Saiyan lust for battle. Perhaps Cell's most distinguishable trait in this form is his uninhibited vanity which he shamelessly puts on display by launching the Cell Games, a "tournament" organized for the sole purpose of showing off his newfound power. It can also be seen during Cell's confrontation with Gohan when he affirms his "true purpose": the annihilation of anything he considers imperfect, a category in which he places everyone and everything but himself. In the English manga, Cell is always referred to as an "it", while in the anime (and the Japanese versions of both) he is referred to as "he." He is likely described that way in the English manga to emphasize the fact that he is an artificial being.
Genetic Composition and Unique Abilities
Cell is composed of cells from Goku, Piccolo, Vegeta, Frieza, and King Cold. He also knows the informations about Nappa, Raditz, Gohan, Tien Shinhan, Chiaotzu, Krillin, Yamcha, and Future Trunks that were collected by Dr. Gero's insect tracking device and stocked in the Super Computer. Cell is therefore able to use their attacks (ex. Kamehameha, Regeneration etc.) His genetic composition is very much a part of his character. In his Imperfect Form, he is clever and calculating and single-minded about achieving his Perfect Form. In his Semi-Perfect Form, he is a little more arrogant. In his Perfect and Super Perfect forms, he is extremely arrogant, he becomes very smug and he believes that every other living creature is inferior to him, and is shown to be very polite unless he loses his temper (which happens a lot). Upon meeting Piccolo for the first time in Gingertown, Cell tells Piccolo that the computer programmed some genetic traits to be more dominant than others. He bears a strong resemblance to Frieza in all of his forms such as his tail and the talon-like feet of his first form, and in his perfect form, his face resembles Frieza's first form.
Cell was designed to have the ability to absorb any biological mass by stabbing his victims with his tail. This process, called "bio-extraction," drains all the organic mass out of the target from the inside out. This attack increases Cell's power, the exact amount depending on the victim's power level. Cell was designed to absorb Dr. Gero's other androids (Android 17 and Android 18) whole, integrating them into his systems. Each time he absorbs an android, he evolves into a more powerful being, however he cannot absorb completely mechanical Androids such as Android 16. Upon assimilating both Android 17 and Android 18, he gains the ability to asexually reproduce, creating blue, child versions of himself, dubbed "Cell Jr." Apparently, he may also be able to change his voice to one of his other forms at will, as Perfect Cell used his Imperfect form's voice during his announcement of the Cell Games in "The Doomsday Broadcast" when explaining that he was the "creature from Nicky Town".
Larval FormCell's original, larval form floats in Dr. Gero's basement laboratory. In our present timeline, this "Larval Cell" is killed by Trunks and Krillin when they discover the basement (which included some blueprints). In Trunks' future, he was still in Trunks' timeline searching for the Androids when Trunks returned from the present timeline. He gets killed by Trunks. In the future timeline which is another alternate timeline, Cell grows to full-size, cracks out of the machine, turns from a larva into its imperfect form, kills Trunks (therefore stealing his time machine), reverts to its larval form, and travels back to our present timeline in order to absorb Androids 17 and 18.
Cacoon FormThis is Cell's second evolutionary stage. He burrows deep into the ground where he remains for four years, during which time he undergoes a slow, natural evolutionary process as he prepares to change into his imperfect form. Once ready, Cell emerges from the ground to shed his skin. This form's effectiveness in combat (if it has any) is never shown, although it is possible it has some level of defensive capabilities, and being a "perfect" being it would have some way of defending itself.
Imperfect Cell Form
Imperfect Cell (不完全体セル; Fukanzentai Seru) or 1st form Cell (第ー形態セル Dai Ichi Keitai Seru) is Cell's mature form prior to his absorption of Androids 17 and 18.
AppearanceUnlike his larval form, Cell fully walks upright on two legs. His facial features have not yet fully developed, and he still retains an orifice-like mouth (which generally obscures four teeth, as revealed in "Silent Warrior"), rather than traditional human-like features seen in later forms. The two sections of his head shoot off in different directions, rather than nearly straight up, as in the next two forms. Cell is later shown using the power he absorbed from his victims by having an aura with the appearance of wailing souls. Cell has orange color parts near his abdominal area, the back of his head, and even near his crotch area. He has two wings which are both green with black spots. He has a dark green and light green mix all over his exo-skeleton (including head, arms and legs). He has five fingers and three toes just as similar and Frieza's (three fingers in the manga, but changed in the show like Dodoria and the Namekians), including his tail, but then has a stinger included at the end of his tail. He also has black sections as well near his abdominal area, in the middle between the two sections on his head, and even the black part of opposite side of his tail. He even has blue veins in both of his arms, legs, and even some in the upper body.
HistoryWhen Cell was first awakened in his timeline, both Android 17 and Android 18 were not present, having already been taken out by Future Trunks (deactivated, actually, with a specially built remote control by Bulma, reminiscent of what Dr. Gero utilized to deactivate all his Androids had they displayed a demeanor of insubordination). In order to complete his evolution, he kills Future Trunks and steals his time machine, going back in time to the date set by Future Trunks in the "standard" timeline when both Androids were still functional, sometime around four years prior to the Androids' arrival. In order to fit into the machine, Cell had to revert back to an egg. Once in the past, he hid underground for four years until he could grow back to his adult, humanoid self. After emerging in his imperfect form, Cell still feared that he didn't have the power he needed to forcibly absorb the Androids. To increase his strength, his first actions were to exterminate several towns, absorbing the human inhabitants within. After completing his feeding on the humans in Ginger Town, Cell was confronted by Piccolo. After a brief struggle where he was beaten around several times, he manages to absorb enough of Piccolo's power to make him stronger and destroys one of Piccolo's arms. Cell (now mistakenly confident in victory) explains who he is to Piccolo. After hearing the story of his creation and his plan, Piccolo reveals that he tricked Cell to give him the time he needed to regenerate his arm and allow him to continue fighting. Future Trunks and Krillin then arrive at the scene. Future Trunks' presence in the past surprises Cell, as was the fact that Goku hadn't died of his heart disease and was still alive. Outnumbered, Cell quickly uses the Solar Flare to temporarily blind his opponents and escape. Cell decided to use a hit-and-run strategy at this point, hiding from the Z Fighters while going from town to town absorbing humans and gaining the power he needs to be able to take on the Androids. Piccolo and Tien worked on tracking him while Future Trunks and Krillin killed the current (main) timeline's Cell while still in his infancy. Eventually, after absorbing several tens of thousands of humans, Cell detected a large ki; knowing that this had to be Piccolo, he deduced that the only thing that could make him fight so hard would be the Androids. Cell wasted no time and quickly headed to the area; as he figured, he finds Piccolo and Android #17 engaged in battle. Cell interrupted the fight and attacked Android 17. At this point his power had far surpassed Piccolo and Android 17's, and without any precautions he approaches 17. As the monster prepares to absorb the Android, Piccolo attacks him, freeing Android 17 from his grasp. When Android 17 learns what Cell had planned, he dismisses the threat, thinking that he was much more powerful than Cell could ever be, and attacked. After knocking away Android 17, he fought and easily beat Piccolo. After blasting a hole through Piccolo's side and tossing him into the sea, Cell was able to attack 17 again. He had almost absorbed him when Android 16 got involved. 16 then stated according to his calculations that he was just equivalent to Cell in both strength and speed, and portended that he'd be the one to kill Cell. After a struggle where it is revealed that Cell is unable to absorb 16, 16 had injured Cell, but before he could finish him off, #17 interrupted and remarked that the three of them were unbeatable. Cell uses this opportunity to burst out of the ground directly behind 17 and quickly absorbed him, evolving into Semi-Perfect Cell.
Future Trunks, who dies during Cell Games and is brought back to life with the Dragon Balls, returns to his alternate time-line and destroys the Androids, including the Imperfect version of Cell, bringing peace back to his era. Thus, Cell never reaches other forms in the alternative future.
Semi-Perfect Cell (Second Form)Semi-Perfect Cell (半完全体セル; Hankanzentai Seru) or 2nd Form Cell (第二形態セル Dai Ni Keitai Seru) is a form Cell achieved after absorbing Android 17 but before getting to Android 18. It is unknown what form he would take on if he absorbed 18 before 17. This form makes its debut on Dragon Ball Z Episode 152 (137 in the edited version) "Say Goodbye, 17" on August 12, 1992.
In this form, Cell's wings disappear, and he becomes much more humanoid, also becoming bulkier. While the nose is not yet fully formed (as it will be in the next stage), he now has an actual mouth. The two off-shooting sections of his head now go straight into the air, as well. In this form, he is at his 2nd largest (because of Power Weighted Perfect Cell) with his height being more than double that of Vegeta. His tail is longer than before, and protrudes from his back, as well as becoming orange and black. His voice deepens than his previous form. The back of his head and the black section on his forehead are now formed together as a ball in between the two sections on his head. His lips are now the color pink, and the black sections above his lips look like a mustache (except it is part of his skin). He now has blue eyes in this form. He even has feet like shoes in this form and metal plates all around both of his ankles. He has the same shape of ears as Frieza's, except that his has an orange line that goes down to his chin and to the both sides of his ears.
Upon achieving this form, Cell no longer cares about absorbing other creatures, and becomes obsessed with finding Android 18. Aside from his obsession, he also becomes slightly more arrogant and cocky because of his power increase, as well as being rash and impatient. His arrogance was short-lived though, as he was easily outclassed by Vegeta's Ascended Super Saiyan form. After finding his Semi-Perfect form no match for his opponent, Cell convinced Vegeta to allow him to absorb Android 18 to reach his Perfect Form (which he was able to do as he appeals to Vegeta's ego and the natural Saiyan drive to fight stronger opponents, both of which Cell is aware of as he possesses Vegeta's cells).
According to his bios in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3, in his new form, he seems to feel that he is the most powerful living specimen on the planet, and it is suggested that this arrogant attitude may been influenced by Vegeta's genes (meaning Vegeta's cells may become more prominent while in this form, which seems to be supported by the fact he uses at least two of Vegeta's signature moves in this form, albeit only in the anime: Galick Gun and Big Bang Attack). It may also be due to his absorption of Android 17 and the genes of Frieza, both of whom were very egotistical and intolerant of the idea of anyone being better than themselves (interestingly, it is only after absorbing the Androids that he begins to use their technique of conjuring barriers, albeit only once after attaining his Perfect form. To further "support" the notion of his superiority, Android #16, who barely survived his brief encounter with this form of Cell, thinks to himself that there should be no-one in the universe ready to challenge him at this point (and that it was odd how he was still so obsessed with achieving completion), until this preconception was shattered by Cell's embarassment against the self-proclaimed "Super Vegeta."
HistoryAfter Cell's absorption of Android 17, Android 16, knowing that he was now well outmatched, attempted to flee with Android 18, but Cell easily intercepted them. In a display of his new power he took a direct hit from Android 16 without injury and then easily blasted the Android, nearly destroying his head effortlessly. Cell turned to Android 18, but she threatened to self destruct before joining him if he approached, which would leave him unable to attain his complete form. In an attempt to pacify her, he pretended to be Android 17 by mimicking his voice (a trait probably gained from his absorption) and told her how wonderful it was to be part of Cell and fulfilling "the great" Dr. Gero's vision; Android 16, still functional but badly damaged warned her of the ploy, something she already knew since Android 17 despised Dr. Gero. When his plan failed, Cell prepared to attempt to absorb 18 by force regardless, knowing that he was fast enough to prevent her from destroying herself and more than capable of overpowering her. He was prevented by Tien though, who used his Neo Tri-beam attack several times to stall Cell, destroying much of the landscape and nearly killing himself. Though Cell did not take any significant damage from the assault, it managed to hold him at bay long enough for Android 16 and Android 18 to make their escape. Though Tien was exhausted right to the point of death (and soon fell unconscious), Cell decided to kill him anyway as retribution; before he could fire though, Goku intervened and teleported to their location using Instant Transmission, meeting Cell for the first time. Cell, wanting to fight Goku, flew towards him when he grabbed Piccolo. Before Cell could make contact, Goku used Instant Transmission again, carrying an unconscious Tien and a barely alive Piccolo back to safety at Kami's Lookout. Without anyone to oppose him, Cell continued his search for Android 18. After losing her in a group of islands, he proceeded to destroy the islands, one-by-one, in an attempt to flush the android out. Having just completed his first year in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, Vegeta approached and challenged him. Cell was soon shocked to discover that Vegeta was significantly more powerful than his new body, as the fight was entirely one-sided. Even after powering up to full power, he was unable to injure the Saiyan, who now called himself "Super Vegeta." Knowing that he was incapable of defeating Vegeta in a physical battle, Cell appealed to Vegeta's ego, stating that if he were in his Perfect body he would be a much better challenge. Vegeta, wanting a stronger opponent, agreed to Cell's proposition. When Future Trunks refused to allow it, Cell called on Vegeta to remove him as an obstacle while he went after the recently discovered Android 18. Cell charged the Android with Future Trunks (also in his Ascended Super Saiyan form) in hot pursuit, until Vegeta kicked Future Trunks out of the way. Future Trunks retaliated by quickly blasting Vegeta, barely damaging him but surprising him with the guts to attack his own father nonetheless, and going after Cell again, but Cell was ready and used the Solar Flare to temporarily blind everyone long enough for him to absorb Android 18. Cell then put up an impenetrable barrier while he evolved yet again, this time to Perfect Cell. He later reverted to his semi-perfect state when he was beaten so badly by Super Saiyan 2 Gohan that he was forced to regurgitate Android 18. He blew himself up in an attempt to destroy the Earth, knowing he was well outmatched; Goku instead sacrificed himself by using his Instant Transmission to teleport Cell to King Kai's planet at the last second, where he, King Kai, Gregory, and Bubbles all died. To their dismay, Cell's nucleus survived to reconstruct himself into his most powerful state yet, the Super Perfect Form.
Perfect Cell Form
Perfect Cell (完全体セル;Kanzentai Seru) is the ultimate form of Cell, which he assumed after absorbing both Androids 17 and 18.
AppearanceCell becomes much more humanoid in this form, complete with fully-formed nose and mouth. Since he no longer has a need to absorb other creatures, his tail is retracted and now used for creation of Cell Jr's, although in Dragon Ball GT and in the video game Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road, it is shown that Cell can still extend his stinger from his back and absorb other people. Along with his previous two forms, Cell can brandish an aura with the same color as a Super Saiyan. He is also smaller than in his previous form, being only about Piccolo's height. His wings have grown back and now are shaded black. His exoskeleton is colored light-green with black spots and has black sections located on his shoulders, chest, the metal plates on his ankles are now shaded black, and now the orange section near his crotch area are also shaded black. His skin is now pale all in his face and hands, he now has purple lines in both sides of his cheeks, and the orange line across from his ears and chin are now changed into a yellow color. His eyes are now pink, and his blue veins are now purple.
Cell becomes significantly more arrogant in this form due to his increase in speed and power, and now only wishes to test his own power. He also gains Frieza's polite mannerisms (though without the snide sarcasm), Piccolo's cunning, Vegeta's self-confidence, and Goku's laid back nature and love of fighting.
HistoryKrillin was enraged by Android 18's absorption and immediately attacked Cell. However, Cell barely registered the hit and was able to take Krillin's Destructo Disk attack to the neck with the disk breaking on impact. He then "lightly" kicked Krillin away when he attacked again, nearly killing him. Vegeta, unimpressed by the display, was eager to resume the battle, which Cell obliged. Cell merely toyed with Vegeta at the beginning, absorbing his attacks without any sign of damage. Vegeta was able to deliver a powerful kick to Cell's head, with much of his energy converted towards the attack, but Cell was not affected at all (his head had turned only slightly from the attack), leaving Vegeta in a momentary state of shock and disbelief. When Cell did strike back, the kick he delivered blew Vegeta away, smashing him into a rock formation. Vegeta then challenged Cell to take his next attack head on without dodging it and fired his ultimate attack, the Final Flash. Vegeta initially aimed at an angle that would have destroyed the Earth, but he thankfully changed the angle before he fired it. Cell nearly takes the full brunt of the shot, vaporizing his left wing and arm. Though Vegeta thought he was victorious, Cell proved otherwise; his cells from Frieza allowed him to survive and function with virtually any wound and those of Piccolo allowed him to regenerate from damage instantly. Almost immediately following the attack, Cell regrew the destroyed area and was back to normal. Vegeta now attacked in desperation, firing off dozens of Ki bolts, but Cell simply walked through it and with one swift combination of attacks incapacitated the Saiyan.
With Vegeta out of the picture, Future Trunks was free to fully power up without worrying about injuring his father's pride. He soon reached the Ultra Super Saiyan stage, and was apparently stronger than Cell; the downside was that the increased muscle mass drained his stamina quickly and made Future Trunks significantly slower as well: he could not land any hits on Cell. Vegeta later tells that, unlike what Future Trunks originally thought, he also can fully power up his body, but doesn't do so because of this ability's weakness and scolds Future Trunks for not realizing the weakness until now. Cell chided Future Trunks, stating that simple brute force is worthless and quickly demonstrated that he too could increase his muscle size if he desired. At this point, Future Trunks forfeited the match and was willing to allow Cell to kill him. Cell considered it, but decided not to after realizing how much more powerful Vegeta and Future Trunks had become in just a few days, and that Goku would be challenging him soon. He instead decided to hold a tournament in ten days, taking all challengers since he saw it would be a good way to test his new power. He also admits to Future Trunks that he has no interest in conquest--just entertainment, primarily through the fear of others.Cell spent the next morning creating the arena where he would hold his tournament, the Cell Games, and then makes a live television broadcast of it to the world. He stated that he would take on as many challengers as there are and, if he is able to go through them all, he will then exterminate all life on the Earth. While at the arena waiting for the day of the competition to arrive, Goku arrived briefly to check Cell's power level and they engaged in small talk. This is then followed by an attack by the Earth's army, but this proves hopeless as Cell, with a single gesture, destroys them all with a form of psychokinesis. During the ten day wait, Cell mostly stayed at his ring, stood there silently, meditated and or trained. He also fell asleep once, as seen in Budokai 1. On the day of the Tournament, Mr. Satan's two students, Caroni and Piroski attempted to fight Perfect Cell first, though they were easily knocked away and disqualified. Mr. Satan himself then tried to fight Cell, but he too was easily defeated. Throughout the entire tournament, he runs from the media covering the story, claiming that he is suffering from intense stomach pains and and calls the techniques in the ring "tricks" or "ilusions". Goku and Perfect Cell began to battle and in a heated display of power, technique and ability, Goku seems to be able to keep up against the mechanically engineered monster. Perfect Cell pulled out all kinds of tricks, performing various moves such as the Special Beam Cannon and the Kamehameha wave. Goku and Perfect Cell battled for a while until Perfect Cell grew tired of being confined to the small ring. So Perfect Cell destroyed the ring and made the battle an all-out fight, just to make things more interesting for him, with no rules applied. Goku threw everything he could at Perfect Cell and even tricked Perfect Cell into believing he would destroy the Earth with a Kamehameha wave. Perfect Cell was noticeably afraid as Goku powered up the energy blast, but Goku tricked him by performing Instant Transmission to teleport directly in front of Perfect Cell, and unleashed the blast on him. The entire top half of Perfect Cell was disintegrated. The Z Warriors seemed content until the remains of Perfect Cell jumped to its feet and regenerated. Goku knew that if he continued, the Earth would be destroyed, or Perfect Cell and himself would die fighting each other. Goku suddenly forfeited the match to Perfect Cell and surrendered. He reasoned that only one person could defeat Perfect Cell. When Goku revealed his son Gohan as his pick to fight, the Z Fighters were furious (noticeably Vegeta and Piccolo) and Perfect Cell was amused. It took a while for the battle to commence between Gohan and Perfect Cell, and even longer for Gohan to get serious. As a Full Power Super Saiyan, he started out somewhat better than Goku, but in the end, his efforts were no good, which noticeably worried the good-sided spectators (except Goku). As the battle continued, Gohan told Perfect Cell to stop fighting, and he told him that the power he could harness when he became enraged would destroy everything. However, this only fueled Perfect Cell's desire to push Gohan to the limit, much to Gohan's horror. Finally, Android 16 decided to destroy Perfect Cell and himself with the self destruct device in his body. He wrapped his arms around Perfect Cell's torso (similar to how Chiaotzu tried to kill Nappa by self destructing), with the purpose of killing them both. To Android 16's surprise, Krillin informs that the bomb had been removed by Bulma when she re-programmed him earlier during repairs. Perfect Cell then gained the upper hand and destroyed all of Android 16 but his head, which rolled over the battlefield. Perfect Cell even claimed that even if the bomb did blow up, he would most likely not be affected too much, despite his fearful look when he found out what Android 16 was intending to do, although that might have been a bluff. Perfect Cell then created 7 smaller blue versions of himself from his tail and christened them Cell Jrs. After they were born, he ordered them to attack the Z Fighters, but not kill them. Each Cell Jr. was close to the power of Perfect Cell just after his transformation. Only Piccolo, Vegeta and Future Trunks in their Ascended Super Saiyan forms managed to hold them off for a while, but eventually, all of them were brutally beaten up (even Goku, who was weakened from his fight with Perfect Cell). As Gohan watched these maniacal minions heartlessly beat his friends and family, he became angry, but it was still not enough. Perfect Cell, noticing Gohan's anger, ordered the Cell Jr.s to kill everyone. At this point, Mr. Satan discovered the head of Android 16, which, surprisingly, could still talk. Android 16 pleaded with Mr. Satan to take him near Gohan (throw him if he had to), for the sake of the world. Mr. Satan, complied despite his fear and the Android's head landed between Gohan and Cell.
Android 16 gave some advice and words of encouragement to Gohan, saying it was okay to fight sometimes to defend loved ones, and to protect the nature he loved. Perfect Cell, overhearing this, claimed that this was good advice and promptly crushed Android 16's head beneath his foot. This was the breaking point, and Gohan snapped. This enraged Gohan to the very limits and pushed him to a new level, Super Saiyan 2, the Super Saiyan level ascended beyond a Super Saiyan. (Although it was not named at this point in the series) Perfect Cell was pleased when Gohan reached this form, but Gohan's first action was mercilessly killing off the smaller Cell Jr.s, which he defeated in a single hit each.
The already astounded Z Warriors, with the exception of Goku, were amazed as Gohan and Perfect Cell began to battle, with Gohan dominating the powerful Android. Even after Cell, to everyone's surprise and horror, powered up to maximum (a power deemed "unfathomable" by the Z Fighters) and punched Gohan hard in the face, Gohan was barely phased at all. With just two punches, Gohan almost incapacitated Cell completely. Perfect Cell knew he was no match against Gohan. Gohan then began dodging all his attacks, taunting him, and overpowering even his strongest Kamehameha at point blank range. This almost destroyed Cell, but Gohan decided to let Cell suffer for a while, which made Goku order Gohan to kill Cell. But it was too late. Cell regenerated using Piccolo's Cells. Making the same mistake Future Trunks made earlier, he began a USSJ-like transformation that reduced his speed drastically, making him unable to hit Gohan. After Gohan had had enough of dodging Cell's punches, he kicked Cell in the face and then in the stomach. The kick to the stomach was hard enough to make Cell regurgitate Android 18, which made him go back to his Semi-Perfect form.
Power Weighted Perfect Cell"Power Weighted Perfect Cell" (パワー重視完全体セル; Pawa Juuji Kanzentai Seru) is a transformation of Perfect Cell. It makes its debut in "The Cell Games", the 165th episode of Dragon Ball Z (150th in the 276-episode version), which premiered on November 18, 1992. It makes its first manga appearance in "Trunks Surpasses His Father", the 386th chapter of the Dragon Ball manga, issued on December 26, 1992.
This form appears as a playable character only in Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Battlers and Budokai 1.
HistoryAfter defeating Future Trunks in his Ultra Super Saiyan transformation, Perfect Cell assumes this buffed state to demonstrate the mistake Future Trunks made increasing his muscle mass, without balancing his speed as well. This otherwise unnamed form is again taken by Cell after he loses his temper with a Super Saiyan 2 Gohan. Trunks notes this during the Cell Games, saying "it's making the same mistake he mocked me for!" Though his raw strength in this state dwarfs that of most of the Z Fighters, Gohan was still able to effortlessly cripple him in a single heavy kick to the stomach (a heavy hit to the head in the manga), causing him to regurgitate Android 18 and revert to his Semi-Perfect form. Afterwards, Cell realizes that he can never win at this rate, and blows himself up in an effort to take Gohan and the Earth down with him, but Goku sacrifices himself (and King Kai, Gregory, and Bubbles, technically) to stop this from happening. Little did anyone know, Cell would survive the explosion and return safely to Earth using Goku's own Instant Transmission technique, stronger than ever. This form is never seen afterwards.
Despite ceasing to use this transformation after due to its obvious impairments, his buff stage is considered second only to Cell's Super Perfect form. It is uncertain if Cell is capable of using any techniques unseen in previous transformations, as he only appears buffed for brief periods of time. Nonetheless, Power Weighted Perfect Cell is still markedly outclassed by Gohan in his Super Saiyan 2 transformation. In the anime dub, Future Trunks implies that Power Weighted Cell was stronger than Super Saiyan 2 Gohan in terms of brute strength, but manga content suggests otherwise, as Gohan crippled Cell with a single kick to the stomach, and made him regurgitate Android 18. This form makes a story mode only appearance in the final battle of Budokai 1 where Gohan must defeat him, despite the fact he should actually be in his Super Perfect form.
Super Perfect CellSuper Perfect Cell (超完全体セル;Cho Kanzentai Seru) is a version of Cell's perfect form after he receives a Zenkai from his recovery after a botched self destruction that took the lives of Goku, King Kai, Bubbles and Gregory. Officially named "Super Perfect Cell" in the video games, this form is never given a name in the series.
In his most powerful state, Cell's appearance remains the same. Nonetheless, his power increases exponentially. His aura crackles with surges of blue electricity much like a Super Saiyan 2. It is also important to note that this huge influx of power causes his already-overinflated ego to increase dramatically. He becomes notably more deranged, frequently shouting and exhibiting bizarre facial ticks at random intervals (although this may be largely due to his rage over being humiliated by Gohan).
Even after self-destructing at King Kai's planet, one single cell survives the explosion due to the fact that his design provided for such. Using the regenerative abilities he inherited from Piccolo, Cell is able to completely recover. His cells also retain a memory of his perfect form, allowing him to regenerate into that form again despite his loss of both the Androids at this point (Android 17 was also killed in the explosion of Cell's semi-perfect body). Due to his Saiyan trait of extreme power increase after healing from injury, he becomes much stronger than he previously was in his perfect form, even at full power or when buffed up. Apparently Cell himself was previously unaware of this ability, as he is shocked that he is still alive. Only then does he fully grasp what Dr Gero meant by the perfect being.Using Instant Transmission (acquired from Goku), Cell returns to Earth and kills Future Trunks with the Full Power Death Beam. Enraged, Vegeta blindly rushes at him in his Ascended Super Saiyan form, but is slapped aside. Cell attempts to kill Vegeta, but Gohan intercepts Cell's attack. Gohan is left wounded, without the use of his left arm and his ki supply reduced to half. However, he is told by Goku that his ki issue is just in his mind, and that he can destroy Cell. Gohan desperately engages Cell in a Kamehameha wave struggle at the behest of the late Goku. Cell gains the upper hand several times, nearly overwhelming the exhausted Gohan nonchalantly, but the other fighters try to force Cell to stop by attacking him when he cant stop the blast, they fail as Cell simply flares his aura and knocks them all back. As he is about to finish off Gohan, Vegeta distracts Cell with a surprise blast to the side of his head being much stronger than the others. Vegeta's blast does what the others failed to do. With Cell caught momentarily off guard, Gohan draws out all of his reserves to obliterate Cell completely. After dying, he then went to King Yemma's judging place and was sent to Hell. After that, he teamed up with Frieza, King Cold, Jeice, Burter, Recoome, and Guldo so that the seven of them could escape via torturing the ogre guards. However, Goku and Pikkon beat all of them easily, and they were sent to jail. His last DBZ appearance was with all of the other beaten villains watching Goku's battle with Kid Buu via a crystal ball.
Later, in Dragon Ball GT, Super Perfect Cell is seen fighting Goku with Frieza in Hell, but is easily dominated along with Frieza. While fighting Goku. he is able to absorb him through his tail, and though he does gain Goku's power, the victory is only momentarily, as Goku soon forces his way out of Cell's body. But within that brief time, Cell stated that the power he had absorbed was nearly overwhelming, suggesting that by absorbing Goku, Cell was momentarily one of the strongest villains at the time.
In his Super Perfect form, Cell seems to be much stronger than a Super Saiyan 2. However, it is not fully known whether or not he is stronger or only as strong as Super Saiyan 2 Gohan as they never got a chance to have a fair match in the manga or anime. In the manga, it is suggested that this form was much more powerful than Super Saiyan 2 Gohan, as after badly hurting Gohan with a blast intented to kill Vegeta, he states "enough playing around" implying he didn't put much power into the blast. The video game Dragon Ball Z: Budokai suggests otherwise since in the story mode Gohan and Cell have a fair fight at first. In the cutscene after the battle Cell seems to be angry, implying that Gohan still has the advantage.
Cell After Absorbing Goku
In GT, while Cell and Frieza were fighting Goku in Hell, Cell actually absorbed Goku for a brief while, becoming the strongest being in the universe. His appearance actually did change, becoming much more buff and being surrounded by electricity, before Goku crawled out of Cell, much like how 18 pushed out of his body.
Majin CellCell appears in this form in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 and Dragon Ball Z 2 V. In the story mode, he and Frieza ar rived and turned into Majins by Babidi, and are once again beaten by Goku and the other Z Fighters. When Majin Buu kills Babidi, Cell and Frieza turn back to their old selves and don't remember anything of being controlled by Babidi, though they still continue to obstruct the good guys all the way to the ending chapter. Once beaten for the last time, they finally return to Hell.
He appears the same as in his Perfect state except with an M on his forehead and black lining around his eyes like with Vegeta when under the trance.
Cellin is the product of Cell absorbing Krillin in a what-if scenario in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai.
Special AbilitiesHis absorption abilities aside, Cell does not possess any unique techniques of his own. Instead, he has the abilities of those whose cells make up his body from the time when the samples were taken from them. The likes of Goku, Piccolo, Vegeta, and Nappa had their cells taken during Vegeta's invasion of Earth, while Frieza and King Cold had theirs taken when they invaded during the Trunks Saga later. While he inherits these techniques from others, he sometimes performs them using his own distinct style.
- Power up – The ability to increase and surpress his power level.
- Ki Sense – The ability to sense others' power levels.
- Absorption – Cell's tail serves one special purpose: to absorb other beings into his body. Cell will gain all of the strength of the person he has absorbed, even if such strength cannot be sensed via the Ki Sensing technique. Cell has two methods of absorption. The first method is to stab the person with the sharp end of his tail. The tail will then suck up all of the organic matter of the victim, leaving the clothing behind. Cell has a second method of absorption, made for people who he wants every bit of strength from. Instead of stabbing the person and draining the person's life force, Cell will instead absorb the person whole. Cell will open up the pointy end of his stinger, and it will become a shape of a wide funnel. Cell will bring the "mouth" of the funnel down on the person, and then they will sucked through Cell's tail into his body. The person will be held unconscious in Cell's body. This method was made for Android 17 and 18, who, due to their powers not being organic, or possibly due their ability to dodge Cell's stinger, they had to be absorbed whole. This is Cell's preferred method, as it gives him full power. Even though Cell's tail retracted after becoming Perfect Cell, it is shown that Cell can still bring his stinger out and absorb other people using this technique. The tail can also be used for strangulation, which he had used on Android 16 and Future Trunks from his timeline. Called Tail Shoot in the Shin Budokai series.
- Regeneration – From his Saiyan cells, Cell has the ability to become more powerful after recovering from severe injuries. He also takes on many personality traits that are true to Saiyans, like the desire to fight and test his power. Even though Cell is not categorized as a Super Saiyan, his aura perfectly mimics that of a Super Saiyan; this is connected to his Saiyan heritage. This ability, combined with his regeneration power, makes him near invincible, and can only be defeated if his entire body (right down to the cell) is completely destroyed, otherwise he will just come back, stronger than ever.Though he has Piccolo's regenerative ability, Cell is never shown to use Piccolo's demonstrated body distorting abilities, such as extending his limbs to great lengths or growing his entire body to massive proportions. He also never shows any of the more mystical abilities of Piccolo, such as creating objects out of thin air. It is likely that Cell's asexual reproductive capability in spawning the Cell Jr's is taken from Piccolo's Namekian physiology.
- Survival - Cell has Frieza's capability of surviving in outer space, and to revert his form (demonstrated when he reverted to an egg and potentially by his evolving body). He also gained Frieza's ability to survive any injury. After Cell achieves his Super Perfect Form due to his brush with death when he self destructed, he explains that this is because each individual cell in his body has a life-force of their own. This could in part explain how Frieza can do this.
- Flight – The ability to fly, taken from any of the cell samples.
- Telekinesis – Cell can lift objects of large proportionate sizes into the air with his mind and controlling the use of his hand(s). Likely taken from Frieza.
- Death Beam (Frieza Beam) – A laser-like projectile which travels very quickly. Also known as Death Beam/Finger Beam. Taken from Frieza. He uses this attack to kill Future Trunks.
- Ki Blast – The most basic form of energy wave.
- Kamehameha – A blue-colored, powerful ki wave attack and trademark technique of the Dragon Ball series. Taken from Goku.
- Regeneration – The Namekian ability to regenerate damage to the body. Cell can regenerate only if the core inside his head is not damaged. Taken from Piccolo.
- Instant Transmission – The ability to instantly teleport virtually anywhere (by homing in on a Ki signature). Taken from Goku after Cell's self destruction.
- Solar Flare – An extremely bright light which can temporarily blind opponents in near proximity. Taken ethier from Tien, Goku, or Krillin.
- Afterimage Strike – The ability to move extremely fast over short distances, leaving an image behind. Taken from Goku, never used in the manga.
- Special Beam Cannon – An energy beam that can drill through opponents. Taken from Piccolo, never used in the manga.
- Lasso – An attack in the Budokai series. Cell grabs his opponent and throws them around.
- Negative Power Rain – An attack in the Budokai series. Cell knocks an opponent down and repeatedly fires at them.
- Ultimate Blitz – One of Cell's Super Attacks in Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Cell's Spirit Bomb – Cell never uses the Spirit Bomb in the series, though he states that he can use it if he wished. This is likely a bluff, as one must be pure of heart to perform the attack according to King Kai, although being pure evil of heart may also be considered. This is Cell's ultimate attack in the Budokai video game series in his Perfect Form ("Okay, planet! Give me that stupid energy!") and in the Budokai Tenkaichi 2 game ("You won't survive this time.") while under his Super Perfect form.
- Kaio-Ken - A power up that multiples your power by a significant amount. Cell doesn't use this at all within the manga, anime, and video games, but he says he could do it if he wanted.
- See Ya! – A technique used against Piccolo. It is also Cell's ultimate attack in Raging Blast.
- Bio Impact – A rush attack used by Imperfect Cell.
- Big Bang Crash – A powerful, blazing red-colored version of Vegeta's Big Bang Attack. Semi-Perfect Cell uses this technique when he destroyed whole islands with it to flush out Android 18. Taken from Vegeta, Cell can also firing it from the mouth. It was named in Budokai Tenkaichi 3.
- Galick Gun – A purple-colored, powerful energy blast. Taken from Vegeta, never used in the manga. </font>
- Unforgivable! – Like all other androids, Cell can initiate a self-destruction. Cell, however, has a special technique to do so, rather than just a device. When Cell uses it, he swells up like a giant balloon and begins a 1 minute countdown, which when it ends, he will explode with enough power to engulf an entire planet. Should he be attacked before the countdown ends, he will explode instantly. Once activated, this technique cannot be stopped, even by himself.
- Perfect Barrier – Semi-Perfect Cell used a barrier in order to completely absorb Android 18 without interference.
Perfect Cell/Super Perfect Cell
- Bang Beam – The user puts his hand out with the index finger pointing forward and thumb raised and shoots a red blast. Cell used it by flicking his finger. Taken from Vegeta.
- Homing Destructo Disk – A variant of the Destructo Disk, this energy disk can be controlled by the creator to change direction. Taken from Frieza (Anime only) note: Krillin thought it was taken from him but he can't remotely control his like Cell or Frieza can.
- Destructo Disk – An energy disk that can cut through an opponent. Taken from Krillin, never used in the manga.
- Warp Kamehameha – Cell's ultimate technique in Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai and in it's sequel. (When using it, he utters the words, "Farewell... NOW!").
- Super Kamehameha – An upgraded version of the Kamehameha. Perfect Cell used against Super Saiyan 2 Gohan to eliminate the Earth. However, Gohan counter-attacked with the Standing Kamehameha. He uses this in the Shin Budokai series, where he says "This is the end... NOW!!!"
- Earth-Destroying Kamehameha - As the name implies, it's a gigantic Kamehameha that can destroy the Earth. Cell tried to fire it at Gohan, but the latter countered with a Standing Kamehameha that took off Cell's left leg, left arm, and part of his head.
- Solar Kamehameha – Cell's Ultimate and Final attack. Cell stores a massive amount of energy and fires it in the form of a giant Kamehameha that, which he states himself, has enough power to destroy the entire solar system. It was created and used by Super Perfect Cell as a final bid to destroy Gohan, but was countered by the Father-Son Kamehameha. Its name comes from Budokai Tenkaichi 3, where it is Super Perfect Cell's Ultimate Blast technique ("The Earth will be destroyed. SAYONARA!)
- Tri-beam – A blast of triangle shaped energy. Taken from Tien (Anime only).
- Perfect Combination – Cell delivers a barrage of punches and kicks to the oppoent before slapping them away and elbowing them into the ground. It is named in Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and is one of Cell's Blast 2 attacks in his Super Perfect form.
- Fear Me! – A rush attack used by Cell during the fight with Gohan.
- Multi Form (12 Eyes) Technique - Used by Cell during the fight with Goku in the anime only, this technique is one of Tien's. The technique creates three fighting copies of the user with 1/4the of the user's power.
- Spirit Bomb – In most Budokai games and Budokai Tenkaichi 1 and 2 , Perfect Cell can use the Spirit Bomb attack without the "Give Me Energy" charge up.
- Perfect Barrier – An impenetrable shield Cell places around himself to protect him from attacks, as seen when he transforms between his Semi-Perfect and Perfect forms after absorbing Android 18. It was most likely taken from Android 17 after Cell absorbed him, though his special barrier could be a technique programmed directly by Dr. Gero. It can also cause damage to anyone unfortunate enough to collide with it. The name comes from the Budokai Tenkaichi series, where it is the ultimate move of his Perfect form.
- Hell Bazooka (Almighty Light Cage in the Funimation dub) – A technique that Cell and Frieza developed together while in Hell. Both Cell and Frieza begins to glow, then a yellow ki emits from both of their bodies, which then envelops their opponent, trapping him/her in an inescapable ki orb. Then both the users throws the orb prison down into the deepest part of Hell, with the prisoner in it.
Though Cell was gone, he still caused trouble in the Other World after being sent to Hell by King Yemma and striking up a partnership with Frieza, King Cold and the deceased Ginyu Force soldiers Guldo, Recoome, Burter, and Jeice. Here, he was defeated along with his friends by Goku and Pikkon, and ultimately sentenced to the Other World Prison. He and the others are later shown watching Goku's battle with Kid Buu on a huge crystal ball in Hell.
Dragon Ball GT
In Dragon Ball GT, Cell makes his last major appearance, in Hell, during the Super 17 Saga. He and Frieza team up to try and kill Goku, but Goku is far too strong for them, eventually defeating them and escaping. He was last seen frozen by the coldest ice from Hell, broken in pieces by Goku and arrested by the ogres. An interesting note is that for a short time, Cell becomes very powerful after absorbing Goku, although Goku manages to escape shortly after, similarly to how 18 pushed out of his body.
Japanese Dub: Norio Wakamoto
Ocean Dub: Dale Wilson
Blue Water Dub: Ethan Cole; Ben Jeffery
FUNimation Dub: Dameon Clarke AKA Dartanian Nickleback (DBZ, GT, DBZ Kai, Budokai Tenkaichi series), Travis Willingham (Raging Blast)
Latin American Dub: Ricardo Brust
Castilian Dub: Carlos Revilla
German Dub: Stefan Gossler
Brazilian Dub: João Batista (DBZ), Raul Schlosser (GT)
Italian Dub: Enrico Bertorelli
French Dub: Georges Lycan
Portuguese Dub: António Semedo
- Cell (Imperfect Form) vs. Future Trunks
- Cell (Imperfect Form) vs. Piccolo
- Cell (Imperfect Form) vs. Piccolo & Android 17
- Cell (Imperfect Form) vs. Android 16
- Cell (Semi-Perfect Form) vs. Android 16
- Cell (Semi-Perfect Form) vs. Tien
- Cell (Semi-Perfect Form) vs. Android 18 & Android 16
- Cell (Semi-Perfect Form) vs. Future Trunks (Ascended Super Saiyan)
- Cell (Semi-Perfect Form) vs. Krillin & Future Trunks (Ascended Super Saiyan)
- Cell (Perfect Form) vs. Vegeta (Ascended Super Saiyan)
- Cell (Perfect Form) vs. Future Trunks (Ultra Super Saiyan)
- Cell (Perfect Form) vs. Caroni
- Cell (Perfect Form) vs. Piroshki
- Cell (Perfect Form) vs. Mr. Satan
- Cell (Perfect Form) vs. Goku (Full-Power Super Saiyan)
- Cell (Perfect Form) vs. Gohan (Full-Power Super Saiyan)
- Cell (Perfect Form) vs. Android 16
- Cell (Perfect Form) vs. Gohan (Super Saiyan 2)
- Cell (Semi-Perfect Form) vs. Gohan (Super Saiyan 2)
- Cell (Super Perfect Form) vs. Vegeta (Ascended Super Saiyan)
- Cell (Super Perfect Form) vs. Gohan (Super Saiyan 2), Piccolo, Tien, Yamcha, Krillin & Vegeta (Ascended Super Saiyan)
- Cell (Super Perfect Form) vs. Pikkon
- Cell (Super Perfect Form) & Frieza (4th form) vs. Kid Goku
List of Characters Killed by Cell
- Alternate Future Trunks – Killed by Cell in another alternate timeline. Cell strangled him with his tail so he could steal his time machine.
- Humans – Though several people are killed when Cell blows up some inhabited islands in search of Android 18. All were likely revived with the Dragon Balls.
- Goku – Killed when Cell self destructed, after Goku took him to King Kai's planet. He was later revived when Elder Kai gave him his life.
- Android 17 – Killed when Cell self destructed, as he was still inside Cell at the time. Was later revived with the Dragon balls.
- King Kai – Killed when Cell self-destructed, after Goku took him to King Kai's planet.
- Bubbles – Killed when Cell self-destructed, after Goku took him to King Kai's planet.
- Gregory – Killed when Cell self-destructed, after Goku took him to King Kai's planet.
- Future Trunks – Killed by Cell with a beam through the chest. Was later revived with the Dragon Balls.
- Although Cell comes from an alternate timeline, he is not referred to - even unofficially - as "Future Cell," due to the fact that the main timeline's Cell never made a significant appearance, only one brief appearance in his larval state before getting blown up by Krillin and Future Trunks.
- In the Budokai games, even if Cell has reached his Semi-Perfect, Perfect, and Super Perfect forms, whenever he receives a powerful hit and screams in pain, he sounds just like Imperfect Cell. This mistake continued on into the Budokai Tenkaichi game series as well, as take-damage voice cuts were never recorded for those forms.
- Cell is the second saga villain to not be defeated by Goku in the manga, after Vegeta (who was technically finally defeated by Gohan). In the anime, he is the third, if one counts Garlic Jr. as a saga villain.
- Out of all of them, he was the only one who was killed by Gohan (Vegeta managed to escape and Garlic Jr. was sealed into the Dead Zone, as he was immortal).
- Having Frieza's cells, Cell can survive some of the strongest attacks, along with Piccolo's regeneration. Also, his Saiyan cells make him stronger from every near-death injury he survives.
- Cell is the only villain to be rooted for by a Z Fighter. (Krillin admitted that he was hoping that Cell would win against Mr. Satan, as he felt Mr. Satan was an embarrassment.)
- Out of the three main villains, Cell is the only one who doesn't kill Krillin (Ironically, his main timeline self is killed by Krillin, although Future Trunks also delivered the death blow to Cell), and the only one who is killed in a beam struggle. He is also the only one of the three to not be bitten by Goku (Goku bites Frieza's tail and Kid Buu's head).
- Though his Semi-Perfect form is an in-between form of his Imperfect and Perfect/Super Perfect form powered up to his maximum and beefed up, which made him stronger but slowed him down so that he couldn't land a single hit on Gohan. This leads to him being kicked in the stomach and regurgitating Android 18, causing him to revert to his Semi-Perfect form.
- Cell is indeed killed by the Kamehameha wave in the last final attack by Gohan.
- All four forms of Cell had some sort of characteristic of the Z Fighters who challenged him in his personality. Imperfect Cell was sneaky and calculating like Piccolo, Semi-Perfect Cell was vain and arrogant like Vegeta, Perfect Cell was laid back and only wanted to fight powerful opponents like Goku, and Super Perfect Cell was hotheaded and cocky like Super Saiyan 2 Gohan.
- Despite Cell's loss of Android 18 (and after he self-destructed, Android 17), Cell's cells retained the memory of his perfect form, which made it possible for him to regenerate back into that form.
- Out of the three main villains, Cell is the only one to be born/created on the planet Earth. Frieza is assumed to be born somewhere in space, and Buu being created elsewhere in the Universe by Bibidi.
- Cell is by far the youngest of the three main villains considering that Buu is millions of years old and Frieza is at the very least a few hundred years old. This is also most likely why Cell is the only one of the three not to be feared by a Kai; he had no time to amass a terrifying reputation in the galaxy, whereas Buu and Frieza were both feared by nearly everyone long before their first appearance.
- Ironically, he's the only main villain to see King Kai in person.
- According to the timeline, Cell was unleashed in the Age 791 but died in Age 767, 24 years before he was unleashed into the world because of time travel.This means that he's at least 24 years old.
- Cell very much resembles an insect, both in appearances and in the way he goes through different stages of metamorphosis.
- Technically speaking, Cell has been killed 3 times. He was killed by SSJ2 Gohan in the main timeline, his other alternate timeline self was killed by Future Trunks, and his main timeline self was killed by Krillin and Future Trunks in infancy.
- Of the three villains, Cell has the smallest form (his larvae form) and the largest (Power-Weighted form).
- Cell was the only one of the 3 main canon villains to not have a Spirit Bomb used against him. Oddly enough, he is also the only one purportedly capable of using the Spirit Bomb.
- Cell is the only character that has two what-if forms (Majin Cell, and Cellin)
- Cell killed Future Trunks twice, first in his Imperfect form when he stole Trunks' time machine, and second when he killed him as Super Perfect Cell. Ironically enough, Trunks also killed Cell twice, first alongside Krillin while Cell was in his larval form, and second in his own time while Cell was in his Imperfect Form.
- His mouth in this form resembles that of an Arlian, except that his mouth opens when he talks.
- His face in the Imperfect Form resembles the face of the first core form of Lavos from Chrono Trigger (that game's characters were designed by Akira Toriyama).
- Akira Toriyama stated in an interview that he intended Semi-Perfect Cell to last longer before transforming to Perfect, but was told by his editor to get rid of him because "He looked funny."
- This is Cell's only mature form that does not possess wings.
- Semi-Perfect Cell's face is famous for being the face for Shoop-da-Whoop, an internet meme on YouTube. Cell's "Big Bang Crash" is Shoop-da-Whoops lazar titled "IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZAR!"
- This form of Cell was smalller than his last form, but about the same size as Imperfect Cell.
Power Weighted Perfect Cell
- Although Cell increased his muscle mass in DBZ, in Z Kai, he just grew bigger.
Super Perfect Cell
- In the manga and Japanese anime, there is a plot hole with regards to how Cell became Super Perfect. According to Cell, a nucleus inside his head allows him to regenerate, so long as that is not destroyed. Goku had previously destroyed Cell's entire upper body, head included, which should have prevented the evil android from regenerating. This plot hole is not present in Funimation's English dub of the anime, where Cell stated that "every cell in his body has a life of its own", and that one survived, which allowed him to regenerate. The former version of his survival is the one in DBZ Kai, due to the fact that Goku didn't use Instant Transmisssion on him. Besides, his nucleus survived the explosion anyway.
- Super Perfect Cell is the only form of Cell to have a Super Saiyan 2 like aura.
- Cell is the first character to reach a vast enough amount of power to destroy something at a high stellar level.
- Although he died in his Super Perfect Form, Cell does not have any electricity swirling around him for his next appearances, making him like his Perfect Form. More proof is found in the Shin Budokai games, wherin Cell is initially in his Perfect form and must transform to go Super Perfect.